Icon painting has reached its zenith in Ukraine between the 11th and 18th centuries. This art is appealing because of its great openness to other influences – the obedience to the rules of Orthodox Christianity in its early stages, the borrowing from Roman heritage or later to the Western breakthroughs – combined with a never compromised assertion of a distinctly Slavic soul and identity.
This book presents a handpicked and representative selection of works from the 11th century to the late Baroque period.
Читать книгу «Icons» очень удобно в нашей онлайн-библиотеке на сайте или в мобильном приложении IOS, Android или Windows. Надеемся, что это произведение придется вам по душе.
- Origins: the Orient and Greece
- Use and Place of Icons in Russia
- The Technique
- Colouring and Pigments in Russian Icon-painting
- The 12th to 14th Centuries: Súzdal and Novgorod, the Greco-Italian school
- The 14th and 15th Centuries: the Súzdal School and Andreï Rublëv
- The 16th Century
- Mystical and Didactic Subjects
- The Early 16th Century, Novgorod and Pskov
- The 16th Century, Moscow
- The 17th Century
- The Stroganov School and the Early 17th Century
- The Mid 17th Century, Ushakov
- The Late 17th Century, Decadence
- Time-Line of Icon Painting
- List of Illustrations